In our eating disorder counselling sessions in Mississauga, we will work together to redefine your idea of healthy weight and your relationship with food and eating. We will work to separate the ‘eating disorder’ from you as an individual. Most importantly, we will develop alternative perspectives, and form coping techniques to help deal with daily life and common stressors. Eating disorders can be a fatal mental illness, and thus, it is important to seek treatment as soon as possible.
Your first session involves initial assessment of your well being and a thorough intake of your personal history and background. Subsequent therapy sessions are 50 minutes in length, and are unique to each individual treatment plan.
What is an Eating Disorder?
An eating disorder involves an abnormal or disturbed relationship with food. There are various categories and intensities of abnormal eating patterns, such as: binge eating, excessive dieting, food and weight concerns, shape concerns, and body image concerns. These issues can be detrimental to an individual’s mental and/or physical health. Please see below for detailed descriptions of three very common eating disorders.
Binge Eating Disorder
– Eating excessively at least 2-3 times per week without a compensatory behaviour. A compensatory behavior would be exercising, undereating, or purging (defined below) in attempt to reverse the effects of the binge
– Most individuals with bulimia nervosa are of normal body weight, in relation to their BMI (Body Mass Index)
– Recurrent binge eating followed by compensatory purging behaviours, which includes one or more of: self-induced vomiting, over-exercising, and/ or the usage of diuretics, enemas, and/or laxatives
– Individuals with anorexia nervosa are most often below healthy body weight (in relation to their BMI, or Body Mass Index)
– Thoughts of someone with this disorder often encompass an overwhelming, obsessive fear of gaining weight
– Extreme food restriction to the point of self-starvation and excessive weight loss
– There are 2 types of anorexia nervosa: restricting type (over-exercise and starvation to avoid gaining weight) and binge/purge type (overeat and then compensate through purging).
Eating Disorder Counselling in Mississauga
Services offered by Carly Clifton include: eating disorder therapy, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), counselling for eating disorders, and Dialectial Behaviour Therapy (DBT).